Saturday, October 2, 2010

Excursion! Saint-Guilhem-le-Désert, Part I

Some cliffs where we were.
Today we went on an excursion to Saint-Guilhem-le-Désert. First we went to a cave, le Grotte de Clamouse. It was chilly down there.
Sign outside of the cave. Cathédrale du Temps = Cathedral of Time.


Haha. Oh Lauren. I like how the shadows of everyone who was taking a picture got in the shot.

First sign toward the entrance of the cave. Discovered in August 1945.

Formations in the cave that look like they're slithering down onto you.

So we're walking through the cave, and our guide (who was sporting just a t-shirt in the 50-degree cave) led us to a random tank of fish. There was also a tank of neutral colored, very skinny salamanders under a large piece of black fabric.

This picture makes me itch in its full size.
A stalagmite tower.
At a certain point it was like "I mean, how many pictures can you take of a cave?"
After we viewed that (it involved a pretty light show where different colored lights shown on the assorted formations with very dramatic, operatic French music), we went to a little village with scrawny streets and beautiful views of the cliffs, one of which had ruins of a castle atop it.
A big ol' church in the village. Our tour guide is the person closest to the camera here; she's really sweet. But it freaks me out that the woman coming our way in the distance is an exact replica of her.
I felt like I was in Mexico.
Can you imagine living here?
Here we are, crowded into one of the little streets like the tourists that we are.
This is a better shot of what the streets are like. I wish I could remember who said this is a nice romantic shot of Jeremiah and our guide.
There were assorted fountains throughout that said "portable" or "non portable," which means you can drink it or you can't, respectively. This one is fine to drink from. Too bad I didn't have a water bottle.
I will post more pictures tomorrow. It was a lovely and extremely tiring day. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment