Thursday, September 16, 2010

A List of Firsts and Culture Shock




Some culture shock:
-Despite still seeing overweight people regularly here, I've noticed that the people who are thin are REALLY thin.
-Nobody is on time.
-Salad dressing is vinaigrette, no exceptions.
-Living life trumps work. Therefore, show up late, take a serious lunch break, and leave early. When even that isn't enough to make you happy, you go on strike. Vive la revolution!
-The women here are feminine and super confident.
-Everybody smokes everywhere.
-Coffee is a nasal-clearingly strong concoction in a mug so small it seems like a joke.


A few things I've experienced for the first time by coming here:
*leaving the United States
*leaving North America in general
*being in Europe
*seeing lizards in person
*acting like a tourist
*walking with a group of friends through a city at night
*seeing mountains in person
*getting immersed in a foreign culture
*riding a train
*seeing palm trees in person
*forgetting a word in my mother tongue but remembering it in my second language (unfortunately during a conversation in my mother tongue, ha ha ha)
*doing something huge and terrifying on my own
 This week is almost to an end already. I can't believe it.

3 comments:

  1. Janelle,
    I saw your post on Facebook about this blog. Of course, I had to check it out. It sounds like you are getting adjusted (despite the culture shock). Hope you have an amazing time. Thank you for sharing your experience.

    K. Bailey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janelle, I so very much enjoy your blog. I may not comment each time I log in but I want you to know I am here & keeping you in my thoughts (and prayers). Rod

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, both of you. Please keep reading, and I'll try to keep sharing.

    ReplyDelete